After looking at 50+ rowhomes in the Federal Hill area, this place happened by chance- a typical saturday perusing the newest additions to market. Inside had a lot to be desired by most standards; it was outdated, a bit smelly, and needed work- but not too much. Just what we were looking for. A bargain we could put our creative flair and sweat into.
The location is ideal. In Baltimore's Federal Hill neighborhood- directly across from Riverside Park! A park front home... now that's nice. The street is quiet with lots of parking. Close to everything but not in the heart of anything.
This is the view from our front door. Lovely.
We closed on the house Friday at 4:30. not a few hours later- renovation work was already in full swing! men and their crowbars. First up? the dirty work. taking down ceilings, exposing brick walls and more.
mom and dad were right there with us from sun up to sun set. how does one do these projects without family help?
THE WALLS.
Where are you brick? The fireplace plaster was the first to be chipped away, but not before removing an old, hideous, HEAVY fake fireplace, sitting in front of the real one. This picture was taken after the fact- but the exposed fireplace in the back was covered in plaster when we first entered.
More photos...
After the fireplace we exposed one entire wall of brick- and as a result of some subpar drywalling, exposed another. more photos to follow.
THE CEILING
Here you can see a glimpse of the not one (the big classroom tile), not two (the white square tile) but THREE (the wallpaper on wood) layers of ceilings we ultimately tore through.
We got right down to the beams and are going to leave them that way. Adds another 2+ feet to the ceiling and looks fantastic. We'll eventually have conduit stainless steel pipes running along the beams to hold our wires.
See the top of that column? two of them will be GONE *yeah!* as the pics proceed. This was actually debatable. Adam and dad liked them. really?
SO MUCH DEBRIS!
it all came together!
stuff cleared out, getting glimpse of the floor once again.
Here adam is, ceilings gone, plaster gone and bricks exposed, in front of a window that we didn't even know we had. it was covered in plaster.
this is the finished stairway. adam's most recent work of art. gorgeous!
Did I mention- every lock was rekeyed as well? (thanks dad).
today I actually mopped the floors. a temporary fix since we're re-finishing the floors this weekend. I just couldn't stand the dirt.
the first weekend of many... many.. many many many more.
now, i'm still gearing myself up for this. adam gives me dire warnings of the fact my "vision" won't come true for years. years?!?. sigh... we are both working ridiculous hours which means slower going than our usual manic transitions. at least work will get the materials paid for. :)
at this point i'm loving it. adam is loving it. the house is totally livable but we haven't moved in yet- waiting for the dirty work to finish. very excited for this hell of a project! Next up is, I think- refinishing the ceiling beams, the floors, adding more outlets and other electrical stuff I don't understand, touching up the brick, sealing the brick, ... and that's about a weekend +. Will post more soon!
LOVE IT!!! Love the insane all-out teardown, so Ganser! Looking at all that dust gave me an asthma attack--how do you deal?? Clean that up before i visit ;)
ReplyDeleteAlissa your construction outfit is reminiscent of your farmer uniform--nerdy yet sassy.
love the blog, love you two, will be checking often!
liz
I LOVE IT! I especially love the old brick and exposed beams. Mostly I love that it's a labor of love. I should use the world love one more time in this paragraph. LOVE!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new home.
Your new place is Amazing!! Inspiring!
ReplyDeleteWe will DEFINITELY come to visit! You are SO close now!!
swank. love the hidden fireplace. Do you need a chimney pot?
ReplyDeleteunbelievable - you have a blog?!? very cute and pictures are awesome. I'll never understand how it was envogue to cover up hardwood floors, wood beams, and brick with plaster and wallpaper of all things. I'll be looking forward to mas fotos and perhaps a B'mo visit this winter :) love you guys!
ReplyDeleteMiska
so so fun! and totally inspiring. wow. you guys did so much over a weekend, I am so impressed. also really happy you two have landed and are making home, literally. look forward to more posts. lots of love, paige
ReplyDeleteLiss! I am so inspired I have just started my first Blog! Ask Ray to send you the link- It's my first try, so not quite ready for viewers yet- Your place looks incredible- I love all the photos of you, adam and is that Steven?
ReplyDeleteLots of luck- when you start asking yourself what the heck was I thinking- Just keep your original vision fresh in your mind.
Can't wait to see the progression- My little renovation took 3-4 years and there are still things I didn't finish. How do you have time to do a blog???
LOL&L
Opp
This is great. thanks all! love reading your comments. just ending another weekend of house mania- will get up pics and post soon! now back to lesson plans. xoxo me
ReplyDeleteHi from dad.
ReplyDeleteYes, I have learned to blog return!This is my 4th attempt....by now my mind is mush.....but - this is mom of Alissa (hi to all her friends I know :) - just to say having A&A&Lolabadola a mere 4hr r/t away is a treat - a day trip compared to Ithaca! -even if i am greeted with mask, goggles, and shop vac for menial manual labor, and at my age.... and get to sleep on blowup vinyl mattress on floor with dog (Lolabadola) who hogs covers. But who's complaining? They live on Sesame Street, with friendly neighbors hanging out on stoops offering food and tools.
ReplyDeleteAlissa's mom,
Phyllis